Sunday, January 11, 2009

Getting Fired and Weekend Ramble.

It's 2:30 in the morning and I'm winding down from another unproductive day. It's all cups of warm tea, pajama bottom'd, and listening to little Sia/Zero 7/Broken Social Scene playlist I made. I needed the opportunity to let off a little steam and just have some fun. This weekend provided it in spades.

For those of you not in the know, I was let go from my job of the last 2 years on Friday of last week. Don't you just love that phrase? Let Go. Sounds so tame for what it really is, someone coming around to your desk, swift-kicking you in the mommy-daddy bag, and shoving your ass out the door.

"Good luck, kid. Hope you don't, you know, swallow a knife or something."

I digress...

Long story short, I no longer work for them and was forced out into the soul-crushing, butt-puckering world of employment acquisitions. Nothing more fun then plastering on that shit-eating grin and lying to potential employers.

"Oh, yes. I want to be here in five years! My life ambition is to hold down an entry-level position at your company. My childhood dreams be damned, I want 2 weeks off a year and mediocre medical/dental care!"

I mean, really, what do they want me to say?

"This job is nothing more than a paycheck to me. At most, I hope to only have to work here for a year or two in order to make enough of a name for myself to start making comics full-time."

I did acquire said needed new job and start on Monday. It's nothing that fantastic, but it will keep me in ramen and Crystal Light while I try to get back on my feet. I'm one of those people who believes that things happen for a reason, probably so I don't have to be so accountable for my inaction's, and, looking back on things, will probably be leagues happier with where my life is going right now.

What was I supposed to be talking about? This weekend, right!

Friday, highlight was meeting Christine, a friend from high school, and her clique for drinks at the Rio Downtown. I tend to forget that I seem to have a language all my own, so it's nice when I get to hang out with a group of people who speak Geek fluently. Haven't had a more chill night in recent memory. Didn't do much but drink margueritas, talk about nothing in particular, and head out for cupcakes and Chai Tea. It's just nice to be around people you feel like you "fit" with and don't have to put up any sort of facade.

Today, just spent the day hanging out with my friend, Mike. We went to lunch at Red Robin, where I indulged in a heart attack burger and chocolate shake. From there, it was off to Best Buy to grab Left 4 Dead and play that back at his place.

Really, just an escapist weekend, but, sometimes, you just need to get out of your head for a bit to realise that it's all gonna be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment